Honestly, I didn’t really know how to use or how totally awesome a nut milk bag is ’til I tried it. If you havn’t yet gotten one for yourself, then do so as soon as possible ..
I promised my loyal facebook fans a review and this is it –
Compared to the nut milk available in the supermarket, and it goes for juicing aswell, it’s a far more nutritious option, full of life force and has NO preservatives, NO additives and NO mystery sweetners … and it’s cheaper and so easy to make too! It’s my kinda tool and so damn easy to use. There’s 3 steps to it –
- Blend and
First off, What is a nut milk bag?
It is a handy tool that helps you make fresh, living and nutritious milk from a variety of nuts and seeds. You can also use it to make juice from fresh ingredients, by blending and then straining the juice through the bag.
Otherwise using them where you would normally use cheesecloth or muslin in cooking is becoming very popular too. My nut milk bag is a wonderfull accessory for my Omniblend blender.
Using your totally awesome high-speed blender you can blend nuts, seeds, veggies or fruit to a fine purée. Pour the mixture in the bag and gently press from the bottom allowing the liquid to fall into a large bowl or pitcher. Go easy on the squeezing so you don’t tear the bag. Do this untill you have squeezed out all possible liquid. And there you have it, juice ready to drink or blend into other recipes. The veggie pulp that is left over can be used in all kinds of yummy recipes (I use any leftover veggie pulp for delectable raw vegan patties), fruit pulp can be blended into your favorite smoothie and don’t forget you can also make cheese (cashew sheese) by allowing the cheese mixture (after blending) to ferment in the bag. Hang it over a sink or bowl to catch the unwanted water (whey).
Empty nut, veggie or fruit pulp into another bag or container and wash the bag completely under running warm water. Hang to air dry. For stubborn stains, soak the bag in GSE (grapefruit seed extract) and water.
So many uses, so little time!
- Nut and seed milk — Soak nuts or seeds desired time, blend with water. To strain pulp from liquid, pour mixture into the bag and put light pressure on the bag from the bottom to squeeze the milk out. Pulp can be frozen to save for other recipes such as cookies, pie crust, breads, cakes or biscotti.
- Fruit Sauce — Blend fruit and strain through bag following the above directions. You can drink the fruit juice, freeze it for ice pops, add it to your favorite smoothie or use it as decoration for a decadent dessert.
- Sprouting — Soak sprouting seeds for desired time and hang to dry in the bag. Water twice daily until short tails appear and the seeds are sprouted. The bag is great for sprouting while travelling so tuck it in your suitcase and you’re good to go.
- Juicing — Blend fresh vegetables and or greens with a bit of water and strain the mixture through the bag. Save the pulp for crackers or soups and drink the juice immediately for the greatest nutritional value.
- Teas — Place loose tea in bag and lower into warm water to steep. Removing after desired time and returning the leaves to Mother Earth for amazing compost.
- Cheese — Follow your favorite recipe for raw food nut or seed cheeses. After blending, place the cheese mixture in the bag to ferment and hang above a bowl or sink to catch the water (whey). Once fermented mix in herbs and spices and enjoy! (recipe to come in another post)
Okay, I’ve given you all the above info, now for the question that I know some of you are dying to ask .. Will it last? Will you keep using it and not just dump it in a drawer and forget about it? Heck yeah!! I’ve been saving up for a juicer, well, for a while now. One of those pretty Oscar juicers .. I have to say That I got quite fed up at times, ‘coz all I wanted was juice, smooth and without the pulp that comes with a smoothie. Voila, it’s possible! The nut milk bag gets a thumbs up from me!!
Click here for the link where I got my awesome blender from .. It is also where my nut milk bag comes from.
I want to do a seperate review for the blender but I just want to say this. It is as good as the vitamix but at less than half the price. I have not regretted my decision a day since owning this magnifecent piece of kitchen equipment.
If and when you do decide to own such a blender for yourself (and you can do yourself the favour, ‘coz it’s a real investment), then you can use the coupon code – Madeline. Omniblend will send you a free nut milk bag with every purchase!!
Love and hugs,