I was born and raised in South-Africa, so having heard about about this delicious dish made my mouth water. Finally after 2 years of trying to find this perfect recipe, I’m so psyched about this! Next step is actually visiting the southern states with their fried steaks!!
(I would love some feedback from all my southern friend……)
- 1c gluten-free flour
- 1tsp ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2tbsp rice milk
- 2 x 450 g steaks (2cm thick)
- 1/4c canola oil
- 1 egg white
On a plate, combine the gluten-free flour, cayenne pepper and 1/2t salt and 1/2 pepper
In a shallow dish, beat the egg white with 2 tbsp of milk until frothy
Dip 1 steak in flour-mix,shake excess off, dip in egg mix and again in the flour mix until well coated.
In a 30cm skillet, heat 1/4c oil on med-high heat until simmering. Fry the steak for 2-4 min turning once or until golden brown.
As you remove the finished steaks from the heat, place on a paper towel. The towel will absorb all extra oil still left.
After all the steaks have been done, you can pour all the fat from the pan and wipe clean with paper towel.
- 1tbsp canola oil
- rest of the flour mixture
- 1c rice milk
- 1/8t salt
- 1/8 pepper
Heat the remaining oil on med-low heat. Whisk in the rest of the flour mixture, cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, gradually whisking in the remaining cup of milk. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over your steak and enjoy!
- Southern Fried Chicken gets kick with spicy Creole sauce (metronews.ca)
- GFree 101 [One Month Challenge] (collegecandy.com)
- Sugar free, gluten free Fourth of July Menu (yourlighterside.com)
- Camping: gluten-free and stress free (timesunion.com)
- Going gluten-Free for Rob (chefhelen.wordpress.com)
- Mimi’s Gluten and Nut-Free Oven Fried Chicken (thefoodallergymom.wordpress.com)